There was a bit of confusion about the announcement of the new expansion pack, but a lot of things were explained in today’s IGN interview with Richard Lambert (Zenimax Chief Creative Director), so I figured I’d put everything we know about the upcoming expansion pack together in one post.
A NEW expansion called Blackwood will hit PC / MAC and Stadia on June 1 and consoles on June 8:
- NEW map between Cyrodill and Shadofen with two important cities returning from previous Elder Scrolls games – Leyawiin (from Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion) and Gideon (from Elder Scrolls: Arena). The new land will be a mix of Argonian swamps and the green highlands of Cyrodill.
- we will be able to find deadlands (reference to TES IV: Oblivion)
- there will be another variation on the dolmens (dark anchors) called oblivion portals, where we will fight the forces of Mehrunes Dagon
- the story of the expansion will be built around Dagon and his cult
- NEW system – comrades – we will be able to take an NPC with us to fight by our side. We’ll have to do a job first to get them. At the premiere of the expansion, there will be two of them (an Imperial man named Bastion and a Dunmer woman who has no specific name yet), and each of them will have their own personality (we will be able to build relationships with them to gain various benefits – you must have considering that different characters have their preferences), and tasks (more will appear as the relationship develops). Companions will be able to play one of the three roles assigned by us (dps / tank / healer). They will use skills and equipment chosen and given to them by us. In order not to knock people out of immersion with a multitude of identical characters, they will have a generic NPC appearance. Each of these types of characters is to have its own personality and history. IMPORTANT: Companions cannot be used in PvP. In dungeons and trials, they will be a complement to the team if our group does not have 4 people for dungeon and 12 for trial (they will not be balanced for this content, so they will not be suitable for making more difficult normals or veterans). These characters are mainly being added for solo play due to the fact that there are changes to champion points that are likely to make content overland more difficult for the solo player. We can compare the companions to the Diablo 3 bots that helped us when we weren’t in the group.
- Champion points 2.0 – rebuilding the system. The developers wanted players to be more focused on one thing (instead of being strong at everything). Passive skills will work as they currently do, and there will be active skills that you can only have a few (subsequent levels will unlock more). The NEW soft cap will be changed from 810 to 1200. This means that at 1200cp we will have the maximum number of passives and assets selected (4 red, 4 blue and 4 green). The total capped level will now be 3600. Levels between 1200 and 3600 won’t make us stronger, but instead will give us the ability to unlock more active skills to swap for current skills without having to reset points.
- everything will happen 800 years before TES: Arena
- NEW trial
- A NEW tutorial giving players the choice of where to start their adventure
- NEW servers to help fight latency
BEFORE Blackwood we will get a dungeon DLC that will start the story. It will be called Flames of Ambition and will be available on March 8 for PC and March 16 for consoles. After FoA in the second quarter, we will get a quest with an expansion prologue.
After Blackwood we will get another DLC continuing the story. It will be called Deadlands and it will hit us in the fourth quarter of this year. Between Blackwood and Deadlands, Q3 will be getting a small dungeon DLC (currently unnamed).
You can pre-order Blackwood to get extra items post-launch:
- Dremora Kynreeve Outfit
- Deadlands Wamasu Pet
- Iron Atronach Crate
- 3 × Blackwood Treasure Maps
- 2 × Experience Scrolls
And these things immediately after purchase:
- Nagahide Welwa Ravager mount
- Nightmare Bear Cub pet
IMPORTANT: Nightmare Bear Cub pet will be available ONLY UNTIL March 17, 2021
If you decide to buy the Blackwood Collector’s Edition, you will receive:
- Battlefield Nightmare Senche mount
- Jewel-Feathered Sep Adder pet
- Temporal Grimoire memento
- Deadlands Gladiator Outfit Style
- Offer Weapon emote
This is a translation of my post from overseas group ESO and reddit. If something has been lost / mixed up, let me know. 🙂
Two Souls & Yin Yang